Saturday, November 14, 2020

Word Slingers, Saturday November 14, 2020

Some Word Slingers product from this morning's session and their associated prompt.

Stalled, if that's the right work for it. I was still revolving, still clinging to the fixtures, trying to re-orient myself to the spinning interior lit by flickering pulses of recessed light. It was the jagged orbit as projected, but I was powerless and had no option but to hang tight.

Usually I took such an "option" - what a nice characterization for an nonrefuseable choice tarted up as an "option" - to reflect on things, go over the bullet list, construct a haiku, etc., but reflecting and wondering was probably not the best way to fight a creeping nausea. 

Focus, that was the ticket. Stalled and focused. Waiting for impact, but most likely just waiting. Gradually, it always seemed to lazily follow the sudden, the spinning wound down. Was I still waiting or am I done?

Prompt: Hurry up and wait...

* * * * *

With Westarkana, that 79 States now reporting and the Decision Desk has shuttered it blinds and gone offline. Updates at 2300...

Bad math maybe, or lazy logic. Seems inconceivable that we've reached this point. Really? Yes, really: the cola has lost its fizz and the non-dairy drink has gone sour. We bought in and we sniffing the results now, and the bloodhounds at the Decision Desk are circling the stinking mess.

I like a good joke, and plot them all the time. My belief in unforeseen consequences and an indulgence in worst case scenarios and 'natural accidents', not to mention legal liability, has advised me to just enjoy the mental modeling and avoid springing the trap.

Obviously there are theorists of jokes paid in blood and not content with mere punchlines.

UPDATE: The outstanding 23 States are refusing to release their results and we're calling the contest hung. A redo is expected and a new slate of comics will be announced tomorrow.

Prompt: A Practical joke that backfired...

* * * * *

"Circumnavigation, it sounds so expansive. I've been around, it's not what it's cracked up to be" muttered the grizzled old man at the end of the bar.

"But you can see wonderful things, out there, almost over the edge, the wilderness. I go every chance I get!" Polly snapped.

"Yes, wonderful. Buy me a drink, I need to forget" he replied.

"Kevin, another Natty Ice for Gramps here and a Europa IPA for me. Thanks!"

"What do you need to forget?" Polly continued.

"And you think remembering will help me forget?"

"I'm just curious"

"You'll mess-up your pretty makeup pressing your face against the glass. Try and take a step back, close your eyes. Wake up. That's all I can tell you."

"I just want to go all the way around, see everything, capture it in my water colors, tell others." Polly was being honest but looked hurt. Gramps was a downer.

"Here's your drinks. Would you care for any meal worms or flaked food?"

"Nah, thanks Kevin" blurted out Gramps "I have to swim back to my castle"

Prompt: Like a goldfish in a bowl...